Getting your home ready for summer travel is always a hectic time of year. We all look forward to getting away and relaxing at our favorite getaways with family and friends. But, preparing to leave town usually requires some organization and planning on your part. There are many details to be taken care of and arrangements to be made for pets, plants or any other living thing that requires attention while you are away.
Six helpful tips:
- Give the allusion someone is home – using timers for lighting outside and inside to turn on and off at different times during the day appears as if someone is living there. Stop the newspaper and mail so it is not piling up in the mailbox outside.
- Turn off water valves – it is always a good idea to shut off the main water valve to your home and the washer/dryer water valve to be safe.
- Unplug appliances & adjust thermostat- unplug computers, stereos, toaster oven and TV. Fires can start easily and summer is a time of thunderstorms and power outages. Don’t forget to adjust the thermostat to save on energy.
- Alarm system- if you have an alarm company be sure to call them with the dates you are away. Also, inform a neighbor that you are away in the event your alarm goes off they can contact your alarm company.
- Arrange for a pet sitter – arranging for a pet sitter to stay at your home while you are away will be an added security. If this is not necessary, arrange for a neighbor to come in once a day to care for your pet, water the plants and keep an eye on your residence.
- Arrange for a cleaning service – arranging for a cleaning service to come in to clean and tidy up your home and water your plants while you are gone so that your home will be fresh and tidy upon your return.
These arrangements can sometimes leave you feeling overwhelmed and rushed, but the key is to prepare ahead of time and your household will be running smoothly while you are enjoying your time away. To schedule a cleaning please visit our website: www.homeservicesenterprise.com