Spring is just starting to come in with the breezing March winds to refresh and renew us. Refreshing our lives can be as simple as spring cleaning our homes and throwing out some unwanted things that add clutter to our environment.
Why is de-cluttering your life so important? When we are bogged down with too many “things”, we may start to feel like we are losing control of our environment. A good session of de-cluttering will make you feel accomplished and give you breathing room because it will open up your living space. One of the easiest ways to get rid of clutter, of course, is to simply give it away! For most people, starting in either the bedroom or the kitchen is a good starting point. After you’ve accomplished that, you can move on to different areas in your home:
- Bedroom – Changing seasons comes with changing clothes. Go through your closets, try on any clothes you haven’t worn lately and give away anything that no longer fits or that doesn’t feel good on you. This includes clothing, handbags, shoes, jewelry, and accessories. A clearer space will make it easier to begin to organize your closets.
- Kitchen – Start with your refrigerator, clearing and throwing out any old or expired food items. Wash shelving and drawers with warm soapy water to clean.
- Pantry – Clear out the pantry and go through all food items for expiration dates, throwing out any that have stayed beyond their welcome. Any other food items that you will not use but that have not expired can be donated to a soup kitchen or local shelter.
- Basement – Basements tend to accumulate the most clutter. If you don’t know what to do with a particular item, usually it gets stored in the basement! Go through these items and hold an estate sale or give away anything you won’t be using.
- Garage – Garages can also accumulate a whole lot of things. Sort through these items and either throw them out or donate anything you will not be using in the near future.
Starting with a couple rooms will make a big difference and open up your living space. Your house will feel more airy and the breezes of spring will sweep through and freshen up your home.