Life can get messy. Any step you take to simplify even one aspect of your surroundings or clear out any single space that’s gotten unruly will bring much-needed cleanliness, order, and freshness to your days and a welcome sense of relief to your mind.
Periodically going through your closet is an excellent opportunity to get rid of the old and the obsolete so you can enjoy a newly optimized and organized corner of your world. This isn’t an easy task for some people, however. We get attached to our things, we worry about discarding something we may want around some day, and we hold on to hope that those pants will fit again one day or that jacket will come back in style.
Now’s the time to put your decision-making skills to work and dive into the task with some basic guidelines steering you and some direct steps you can follow that will take you from cluttered to calm before you know it!
- Take one item at a time out of your closet.
- For each individual item, ask:
- Are you still wearing this now or have you worn it in the past two years?
- Do you love it?
- Does it reflect your current personal style?
- If you answer yes to all three questions, the item is a definite keeper. If you answer no to two or more of these questions, it’s time to toss it on one of two piles: (a) donate to charity or (b) give to someone you know who you think will appreciate it.
- When you come across something “iffy,” try it on, honestly assess yourself in a full-length mirror, and decide if the article fits well enough and looks good enough to keep.
- Repeat this process for every single item in your closet: clothing, shoes, scarves, ties, belts, hats, purses, robes, bathing suits—you name it.
- Bag or box up your give-away piles and remove them from the room, storing them somewhere out of the way (like your garage or car trunk) until you get a chance to permanently dispose of them.
- Now, to finish preparing your “clean slate,” empty your entire closet of all the items you’re keeping so that you can access every nook, cranny, shelf, and cubby. Thoroughly clean all surfaces and spaces at once (including vacuuming the closet floor).
- Now it’s time for the fun part! As you reload, bring items back in and organize by colors and by seasons. The things you wear and use often should be within easiest reach; seldom-worn attire like formal wear can be placed in more out-of-the-way areas.
Whether this takes you half a day or a full weekend, the rewards will be well worth the effort … And just think of all the space you just created to shop for new items that perfectly suit the new you!
Home Services Enterprise does far more than just cleaning. If you need some help getting your spaces in tiptop shape, carting off your unused belongings, or organizing any other area of your home or office, we’re at your service!
Call Home Services Enterprise today at 301-674-9564 to schedule an appointment or visit our website: www.homeservicesenterprise.com